The Bruyère Research Institute (Institute) is seeking a Senior Director of Operations. The Senior Director of Operations is responsible for organizational effectiveness, performance management and supporting the strategic directives of the Institute.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Director’s responsibilities include overseeing human resources management, financial management, strategic planning, policies/procedures, contracts and agreements, communications, coordinating logistics, establishing an institute performance matrix and monitoring performance, to support the organization’s growth and sustainability.
This is a great opportunity for an individual excited by the challenge of a wide spectrum of management responsibilities and capable of uniting a diverse group of individuals to achieve the goals of a dynamic and evolving organization. The incumbent will work closely with operational management to execute strategies as well as lead and manage the Institute operations to achieve success.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Lead change management initiatives within the Institute.
- Work in collaboration with the Operations Managers to provide leadership and oversight of financial management, human resources management (including HR planning, recruitment and selection, retention strategies, compensation, performance management, training and development), policy/process development and conflict management.
- Provide mentorship and career development for management and staff where appropriate
- Chair and organize operations team meetings to foster a strong team and facilitate ongoing organizational effectiveness.
- Oversee and approve (signing authority) grant submissions, contracts, awards and reports.
- Coordinate internal review and/or accreditation processes.
- Develop all policies/procedures to implement programs/initiatives within the strategic plan, and those related to administrative, project/program management and communications activities.
- Oversee reporting requirements for Institute and liaise with stakeholders to ensure complete and accurate reports.
- Support CEO with Board of Director activities including preparation of meeting materials, meeting with working groups and representatives etc.
- Provide oversight to coordinate special projects (this may include renovations and construction, IT installation, space assignments, occupational health and safety concerns, furniture/equipment purchases, etc.).
- Oversee / organize Institute-specific meetings and events including scientific/staff retreats.
Performance Management of the Institute
- Oversee the overall financial management of the Institute including the development of an annual budget and long term financial forecasts as well as overseeing core budgets and externally funded research projects that demonstrate sound fiscal responsibility and long term sustainability.
- Increase the visibility of research accomplishments and educate various stakeholder groups on Institute accomplishment
- Act as key contact and representative for the Institute, both internally and externally, including fostering and promoting the mission and vision.
- Monitor and report on Institute performance (productivity and impact, financial, organizational effectiveness) and work with the President and CEO to foster relationships to promote growth.
- Oversee the submission of reports to funding agencies, partner institutions, etc.
- Lead organizational change and facilitate the bridge between the vision of the Institute and the implementation of that strategic vision at the operational level, including ongoing evaluation.
- Recommend/initiate programs or activities to support the implementation of the Institute’s strategic plan and partnership development and ensure ongoing relevant reviews and updates to the strategic plan.
- Develop/implement fundraising strategies in conjunction with the Bruyère Foundation and coordinate a variety of partners.
- Build relationships with external and internal partners and stakeholders that support effective operation of the Institute, collaboration and success.
- Support CEO to explore, identify and develop partnerships with a wide variety of governmental and non-governmental agencies and other community stakeholders.
- Support CEO to educate/lobby elected officials at all levels of government to promote the work of BRI.
- Support CEO to work with other research institutes based in
Ottawa, to form a consortium with the goal to attract, develop, and maintain the highest quality research staff.
- Performs other duties consistent with the position, and other duties as assigned by the Institute’s President.
The successful candidate will have:
- Master’s degree in business, health administration and or related field and equivalent experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in an operations management position.
- Demonstrated ability to manage human resources, with experience in organizational assessment and development
- Proven ability to lead, plan and manage change
- Extensive experience developing and managing complex budgets and financial management
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and foster communication through strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, effectively manage overlapping duties and meet deadlines.
- Experience working in a health services and/or research environment.
- Bilingualism (French/English) is preferred.
If you are interested in this opportunity please submit your CV with cover letter to email@example.com by
September 10, 2013.
Please send a recent resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org