Run for Bruyère during the Scotiabank Charity Challenge
On May 26 and 27, 2018, join Bruyère Foundation and stroke survivor Tim Kerr for the Scotiabank Charity Challenge during the Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend. All funds raised by our participants will go directly to patient care and research at Bruyère! You can show your support by running, fundraising, donating and helping us spread the word about Tim Kerr.
From a catastrophic stroke to running as a life changer for Bruyère
It was a dark June night. The Royal Canadian Navy Destroyer, HMCS Algonquin, was 150 miles off the coast of California. Commanding Officer Tim Kerr was preparing the crew for a two-month deployment. Tim’s life was about to change—forever.
Tim spent a year at Bruyère as a patient in the stroke rehabilitation program and as an outpatient, where he continued to receive rehabilitation services. Tim knows luck had nothing to do with his recovery. “I owe my new life to the people at Bruyère and the donors who so kindly support the work they do,” he says.
Tim understands how life can change in an instant, which is why he is running and fundraising for Bruyère as part of the Scotiabank Charity Challenge.
Last year, Tim raised $10,000 for Bruyère. This year, he is trying to expand upon last year’s fundraising success. He has signed up for the Ottawa Race Weekend Voyageur Challenge, which combines the 5K, 10K and half marathon for a total distance of 36.1km. Tim hopes to raise at least the same amount of money.
“There is an urgent and real need to support Bruyère,” he says. “Together we must ensure Bruyère has the tools it needs to help us if and when we need them. I hope people learn about my journey and support Bruyère.”
How to register for the Ottawa Race Weekend?
- Register for your race.
- Choose your event.
- Fill out the participant information form.
- Under the title Scotia Charity Challenge, check the box “Create Personal Fundraising Web Page”.
- In the scroll down menu, select the Bruyère Foundation as the charity.
- Continue filling out the fields.
- Enter credit card information.
- You will receive an email confirming your registration from the Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend.
- Create your personal fundraising page for the Bruyère Foundation or contact Brittney to get started. Be sure to choose to participate as an individual and not as a team member.
- Start fundraising by sharing your link with your network.
- Run or walk on May 26 and 27, knowing you made a difference in your community.
Contact Brittney at 613-562-6319.