| $30.23 - $34.47/hour plus benefits
The Bruyère Research Institute (RI) partners with Bruyère Continuing Care (Bruyère), the University of Ottawa, and other stakeholders to conduct relevant and practical health sciences research related to improving the quality of life for the aging population and people requiring continuing care.
We are looking to hire two RCI staff with qualitative research experience and expertise to join the Palliative Care research team at the Bruyère Research Institute to work on projects led by Dr. Sarina Isenberg, Chair in Mixed Methods Palliative Care Research, and Dr. James Downar, Clinical Research Chair in Palliative Care. Supervised by the Primary Investigators and palliative care Research Manager, the successful candidates will assist with multiple research projects, with a focus on qualitative and mixed methods research on: delivery of palliative care in home care and long-term care (Isenberg); patient and caregiver engagement to inform the refinement of a survival prediction tool (Isenberg); transitions in care from hospital to home (Isenberg); evaluation of automated mortality prediction tool implementation in hospital settings (Downar); and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the home care experience and bereavement outcomes (Downar).
Main duties and responsibilities:
This job description is not exhaustive. Additional duties may be added as projects progress.
Research Support - 70%
- Participant recruitment: work with clinical teams at Elisabeth Bruyère Hospital and The Ottawa Hospital to screen potential participants for study eligibility
- Obtain and document participant informed consent
- Organize and facilitate interviews and focus groups with participants
- Data collection and entry, study document maintenance
- Assist with qualitative data analysis
- Basic descriptive quantitative analysis
- Knowledge translation activities, such as drafting abstracts, assist with manuscript writing, and assist with developing presentations for academic conferences
- Assist with literature reviews (scoping/systematic, both qualitative and quantitative)
- Assist with and coordinate research grant applications
Administrative and Financial Research Support - 30%
- Coordinate Research Ethics Board (REB) applications and ongoing approvals (study amendments, continuing reviews, study closure forms, etc.)
- Calendar management, booking project meetings
- Draft meeting agendas, take meeting minutes
- Coordinate obtaining signatures for study departmental approvals, REB submissions, and research contracts
- Draft project and funding reports
- Basic financial tasks, such as submitting invoices and expense tracking against the project budget
- Support project management of research projects and grant applications
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant health science-related field
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience
- Evidence of qualitative research experience and expertise
- Strong interview and facilitation skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrated excellent organizational, time management, and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet timelines and deadlines
- Bilingualism (French and English) (mandatory for 1 of 2 open positions)
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Ability to use qualitative data analysis software
- Experience working with palliative/end-of-life patient and caregiver populations
- Experience in the home care/community settings
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to BRI-HR@bruyere.org
Attn: Human Resources with Subject heading “BRI PC RCI Application-Last Name” no later than Wednesday
March 2nd, 2022.
Bruyère Research Institute is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on skills and experience as outlined in your CV and cover letter.
Bruyère Research Institute is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise us of any accommodation measures which may be required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
We thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
All Bruyère employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination as per our Enhanced COVID-19 Immunization policy.