Inpatient Geriatric Rehabilitation
As the only service of its kind in the Ottawa region, the inpatient Geriatric Rehabilitation program at the Bruyère Hospital is designed to improve the functional abilities of elderly patients recovering from a recent illness, injury, surgery, or any condition resulting in a loss of independence.
Rehabilitation care is provided by a team of health care professionals who in partnership with the patient, will assess, treat, and make recommendations to promote discharge back to the community.
The rehabilitation process includes regular therapy sessions with different members of the rehabilitation team whose goal it is to improve your level of independence. As part of your treatment plan, we also offer education and counselling for you and your family.
This service is provided in both official languages.
To be accepted into this program you should:
- 65 years or older
- Be medically well enough and have sufficient energy to attend two, one-hour therapy sessions per day
- Has identified goals that are specific, measurable and timely
- Have the ability to learn and retain new information
- Have the motivation and willingness to participate in therapy
What to Bring
- Your clothing should be comfortable and easy to put on and take off.
- Shoes and slippers should be solid, comfortable, and suitable for walking with low heels and good grip soles. (E.g. running shoes)
- Glasses and hearing aids, if applicable
- Bring any equipment you are already using. (E.g. walker, cane, wheelchair)
- Please do not bring jewellery or other valuables as the hospital is not responsible if they are lost or stolen.
We begin your discharge planning the day you arrive. Throughout your stay, your rehabilitation care team will assist you and your family in planning your discharge to an appropriate environment that will meet your needs.
Accommodation and Cost
Our facility provides three types of accommodations (private, semi-private, and ward). Provincial health insurance (i.e. OHIP/RAMQ) covers the cost of a ward room. If requesting preferred accommodation, additional charges will apply. If you have separate/additional private health insurance coverage, you are encouraged to contact your insurance company to confirm the level of accommodation covered by your policy.
Provincial referral form
To refer, please complete this form, encrypt it, and email it to BruyereClinicalAdmissions@bruyere.org or fax 613-562-6095.
43 Bruyère Street
Ottawa ON, K1N 5C8
Tel.: 613-562-6262, extension 1488