|Temporary, Full-Time, Flexible hours to meet operational needs, 75 hrs / pay period, 1.0 FTE|
|$42.355 to $50.577/hr, plus a percentage in lieu of benefits
The Physician Assistant will work in our Complex Continuing Care (CCC) Program, a specialized in-patient program for medically complex patients and/or slow stream rehabilitation patients. The program, which is primarily geared towards transition back into the community, provides regular active care management by physicians, a physician assistant, nurses and allied health professionals. Located at Saint-Vincent Hospital, the program has 336 beds and aims to improve and maintain function for patients with complex care needs by providing them with the required services and support.
As part of Bruyère Continuing Care you will be contributing to fulfilling our Mission which is committed to improving the quality of life of our patients and residents by living our values of respect, compassion, collaboration, accountability and learning.
The Physician Assistant (PA) will work under the supervision/direction of a primary supervising physician and other members of the CCC Medical Staff in accordance with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario policy on delegation. The PA will be integrated into the interdisciplinary team and all tasks will be assigned and/or delegated by a member of the Medical Staff based on mutually agreed upon guidelines. Roles and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Provide on-site coverage to assess patients whose condition changes unexpectedly. The PA will then triage the patient in cooperation with the attending physician
- Carry out the initial patient assessment (patient interview, medical history, physical examination and procedures) upon the admission of a patient to our services
- Assist in the ongoing medical monitoring of patients with complex and unstable medical problems in cooperation with the attending physician
- Provide education to patients, families and other health providers as appropriate. Assist, as appropriate, in the training of medical learners, Nursing and Allied Health Staff as it pertains to the medical care of our patients
- Communicate with other members of the health care team and other hospital departments, both orally, in writing and electronically
- Maintain clear, accurate and appropriate records of the patient encounter and management plan
- Assist in program development and evaluation, and in the creation and evaluation of standards of care for patients admitted to our specialized care programs
- Participate in tasks related to the academic mission of the CCC department
He/She is committed to living the Mission and Values of Bruyère Continuing Care.
He/She is committed to patient and resident safety, on-going learning and continuous quality improvement.
- Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant Education Program (Bachelor of Health Sciences Physician Assistant).
- Successfully completed the National Physician Assistant Certification Examination and certification with the Physician Assistant Certification Council
- Membership with Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA)
- Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate
- Bilingualism (English/French) an asset with effective written and oral skills in both
- Prior experience working in a continuing/subacute care setting is an asset
- Intermediate/Advanced computer skills
- Interpersonal communication skills and team-player
- Ability to work within an interdisciplinary team and to work with multiple supervising physicians
- Caring and compassionate health professional dedicated to patient care
- Clinical competencies and patient assessment skills
- Ability to think critically and solve problems within scope of practice
- Ability to take initiative and work independently on delegated/assigned tasks
- Ability to work under pressure and to adapt to change
- Dedication to continued learning and professional development
- Interest in and willingness to participate in academic initiatives (research and teaching)
All applicants must provide a recent CV, and a cover letter that clearly indicate that they meet the required qualifications. Copies of their degrees and certifications, if applicable, must also be included.
Bruyère Continuing Care is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the departmental official of the accommodation measures which may be required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.