|Bruyère Research Institute
|Full-Time, 37.5 hrs/week, 1.0 FTE - 1 year contract with possibility of extension|
|$57,359.34 to $65,396.90 annually, commensurate with experience
Job Location: Bruyère Research Institute and Department of Family Medicine, University of Ottawa
Position PurposeThe writer will report to Dr. Clare Liddy who leads a primary health care research team at the Bruyère Research Institute (BRI) in Ottawa. She is the Interim Chair, Department of Family Medicine at the University of Ottawa. The writer will assist with the writing and editing of research and scholarly manuscripts, grant applications and research ethics application under Dr. Liddy’s supervision in both roles (BRI and UOttawa).
Working in English and French, the Writer will write and edit a range of scientific materials, including papers, posters, presentations, and must demonstrate exceptional skills in communicating complex and technical concepts in clear language tailored to the audience and document type.
The Writer will also support the creation and submission of grant applications and research ethics proposals and amendments.
Specific Job Duties
- Write and edit scientific articles in close collaboration with researchers (e.g. Faculty Members, Research Leads, and Resident/Medical Students).
- Prepare options for data presentation (design graphs, tables, charts, etc.) that best reflect the project’s outcomes.
- Identify best-matched journals for submission of articles and format manuscripts in accordance with the journal’s guidelines.
- Revise submitted manuscripts based on external reviewers’ feedback in collaboration with the Project Lead.
- Work with the Project Lead and team members to write portions of grant applications, following the guidelines provided by the relevant granting agency (e.g. CIHR)
- Submit applications to research ethics boards, clearly communicating the study’s intentions and proposed methods in a manner that clearly addresses the target board’s requirements, and provide timely responses to any edits they require.
- Write and edit various additional materials designed to communicate findings to individuals outside of traditional academic audiences (e.g. policy briefs for government and organizational stakeholders, social media posts and news articles for the general public), or communicate research ideas in a more visual format (e.g. posters, PowerPoint slide decks).
- Stay up-to-date on the status of projects, attend team meetings, tracking projects status, identifying problems and issues, ensuring that projects are completed on schedule and at the highest levels of quality.
- In support to the DFM activities, serves as a communications resource for colleagues providing editorial expertise, high-quality editing, and proofreading.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
The work requires someone with:
- Strong writing skills in English and French
- An ability to convey complex ideas to a range of audiences, including scientists, policymakers, and the general public
- The ability to work with multiple authors and synthesize multiple versions and comments.
- A sound understanding of the scientific method and familiarity with the Canadian and Ontario healthcare system.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines; plan and coordinate own work based on calendar of deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to clearly discuss priorities and deliverables based on a realistic calendar.
- Ability to work as part of a team, and to interact with creative professionals, in a positive manner during high stress situations and changing priorities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, PPT, Outlook, Excel) and able to create charts and graphs that reflect study results.
- Bilingual (English and French – Read, write, speak)
BRI welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If you are interested in this opportunity please submit your cover letter and resume to
Attention Lois Crowe, Research Manager, no later than October 27, 2019.
We thank you for your interest in this position, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.