Æ

About Bruyère

History at a Glance

1845 to today


1845

  • Mother Élisabeth Bruyère and three Sisters arrive in Ottawa.
  • The Sisters open the first bilingual school in Ontario.
  • The General Hospital opens its doors at the corner of Parent Street and St. Patrick Street. 

 1850

  • Patients are moved to the current Mother House of the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa on Bruyère Street. 

 1861

  • Construction of the Ottawa General Hospital begins on Bruyère Street. 

1866 

  • The first patients are admitted to the Ottawa General Hospital. 

1871

  • The St. Charles Old Age Hospice opens on Cathcart Street (a precursor to Saint-Louis Residence) 

1876

  • Mother Élisabeth Bruyère passes away.

1924

  • Saint-Vincent House is founded by Sister Marie Auxiliatrice and seven other Sisters. 

1932


1955

  • The new wing at Saint-Vincent Hospital officially opens, increasing capacity to 516 beds. 

1959

  • The Sisters of Charity of Ottawa’s Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation officially opens. 

1966

  • Saint-Louis Residence officially opens in Orléans and welcomes its first residents from the Saint-Charles Hospice in Ottawa. 

1968

  • The Grey Nuns of the Cross officially change their name to the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa. 

1980

  • The Ottawa General Hospital moves to its new location at the Ottawa Health Sciences Centre on Smyth Road. 
  • The old Ottawa General Hospital site becomes the Élisabeth-Bruyère Health Centre and opens its doors as a chronic care institution. 

1983

  • The Regional Palliative Care Unit opens at the Élisabeth-Bruyère Health Centre. 

1984

  • The day hospital opens at Saint-Vincent Hospital. 

1988

  • Villa Marguerite opens at the Élisabeth-Bruyère Health Centre. 

1991

  • Construction and renovations begin at Saint-Louis Residence. 

1993

  • The SCO Health Service is established, bringing together the Élisabeth-Bruyère Health Centre, Saint-Vincent Hospital, Saint-Louis Residence and Villa Marguerite. 
  • The Institute of Palliative Care is launched. 

1994

  • An affiliation agreement between the SCO Health Service and the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine is signed. 

1995

  • The SCO Health Service mission statement and values are formulated. 

2000

  • Research is established as a priority and the University of Ottawa Institute on the Health of the Elderly associated with the SCO Health Service, the CT Lamont Centre and the University of Ottawa Institute of Palliative Care are created. 

2002

  • Complex continuing care is consolidated at Saint-Vincent Hospital and rehabilitation is consolidated at the Élisabeth Bruyère Health Centre. 
  • Construction of new wing and renovation of existing wings begin at Saint-Vincent Hospital. 

 2003

  • Transfer of sponsorship of the SCO Health Service from the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa to the Catholic Healthcare Corporation of Ontario (CHCO). 
  • Research is fully integrated and the Élisabeth-Bruyère Research Institute is founded. 

2004

  • The SCO Health Service mission statement and values are revised. 
  • The affiliation agreement with the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Medicine is updated. 
  • The new wing at Saint-Vincent Hospital opens. 

2005

  • The SCO Health Service signs a comprehensive affiliation agreement with the University of Ottawa Faculty of Health Sciences, including the School of Nursing, the School of Rehabilitation Sciences, the School of Human Kinetics and the Program in Health Sciences. 

2006

  • The SCO Health Service adopts family medicine as one of its programs and opens the Primrose Family Medicine Centre. 

2007

  • The SCO Health Service is recognized as one of seven regional health care providers by the Champlain Local Health Integration Network (LHIN). 

2008

  • On September 12, 2008, the SCO Health Service changes its name to Bruyère Continuing Care. 
  • Bruyère Continuing Care achieves accreditation status. 

2009

  • One of the world’s first palliative care rehabilitation service opens at the Élisabeth Bruyère Hospital. 

2011


2012

 

  • The Bruyère Village opens and welcomes its first tenants. 

 


2015

  • Bruyère celebrates its 170th anniversary.