How to Get Involved in Your Care
Everyone has an important part to play in making health care the best and safest it can be. As a patient, resident or family member with us, the number one thing you can do for your safety is be an active and informed member of the health care team at Bruyère. We will always welcome and encourage your involvement.
Here are a few of the ways you can be involved:
- Don’t be hesitant to be actively involved and fully informed in your health care. Feel free to ask our staff if you have questions or concerns about your care or if you don’t understand something. It is fine to ask more than once if it is not clear.
- Tell members of your health care team about your past illnesses and your current health condition. Don’t assume they have all the information they need about you.
- Bring all of your medicines with you when you go to the hospital or to a medical appointment. Make sure your doctor knows all the medications, herbal supplements or vitamins you are taking. Ensure the nurse checks your wristband before administering medication, and that you understand the purpose of each medication you are given. Tell a member of your health care team if you have ever had an allergic or bad reaction to any medicine or food.
- Wash your hands frequently and ask your doctor or healthcare provider to do the same.
- Be aware of your surroundings as spills or obstacles may cause a fall. Tell staff if you have ever fallen or are unsteady on your feet. It is also important to respect any fall prevention advice received from our staff.
- Find out why a test or treatment is needed and how it can help you.
- Make sure you know what to do when you go home.
Want to know more? Helpful information is available from the following websites:
Ontario Hospital Association
Canadian Patient Safety Institute